The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tea, Cake & Drills

Sometimes I worry about the nature of the activity which most occupies my spare time! My interest, borderline obsession, with G.A.A. causes me this concern. For instance, the impact it has on my social adaptability; most people struggle to find alternative topics to talk to me about. When they do talk to me about other things, my head is nodding but inside it's playing out some different type of scenario in some G.A.A. related activity.

My parents in particular are very accommodating. Over Christmas, we had three days down in Killarney. I'd be trying my best not to direct every conversation towards G.A.A. but inevitably we'd land on it. My mother would not be a G.A.A. woman (she once attended a Dublin-Kerry game in the 70's and asked which team was Kerry). However, she does a masterful job of feigning interested. Only a mother could.

Whilst down in Killarney, I gave Eamonn Ryan a call. When he visited Brussels he had said to do so when I was home and he'd give me some stuff. Of course, I followed up. I had a concern as I navigated my way through the mountains to Ballingeary though. As per tradition in any Irish household, there was the likelihood of being offered tea and possibly even cake. I'm not a big fan of either and have actually never drunk a cup of tea. An awkward moment lay in wait.

Naturally, one of the first questions I was asked was if I’d have a drink of something. I said I'd have water. Eamonn said I'd have tea. So I had tea. I pretended to know exactly how much milk I liked and declined sugar. Then out came the Christmas cake. Christ, I've looked with suspicion at Christmas cakes for 29 years. Of course I'll have it, especially as his wife had made it. Eamonn was a primary school teacher and retains the streak of any 'master' worth his salt. I drank the tea and ate the cake and may even have enjoyed both.

As always, he was generous with his time. I spent the bones of three hours down there, getting names of authors and books, mapping out training drills and even making a few suggestions to him! Conversation with him is one story after another and he would surely have enough material for a decent book. It would certainly top any of the shallow autobiographies currently selling well.

One thing which he has repeated both times I have met him in the last few months is that he only has one interest; the G.A.A. Why would the recession and the impact on his pension bother him? He's happy as long as there is a team to train and a match to go to. He doesn't want for much else. It's reassuring that you can be into your seventies and still buoyed by such an interest. He was fortunate in some ways. His career choice as a teacher provided him daily access to G.A.A. activity though Sciath na Scoil and activities like that. His talent allowed him play for Cork and coach some of the biggest names in Cork G.A.A. subsequently. He finished off in UCC as Games Development Officer, working with the likes of Paul Galvin and Tommy Walsh. His chosen path in life fuelled the obsession.

I consider the impact the G.A.A. has on my life and what will become of the interest. I used think I should become more interested in different things, to make myself easier to engage with. I think of how it has been the prickly thorn in one or two relationships. I wonder how living in Belgium and working for Toyota will harm it.

I'll never be an Eamonn Ryan because circumstances and talent will not allow. I look at Dad and think his involvement and interest probably exceeded mine when he was in his teens and late twenties. He retired, stepped back and didn't become involved again until John was U-16 and then when we were both playing with the Junior hurlers. Then one March evening in 2002 he got p1ssed off with fellas commitment and walked away for the last time. Now he is interested but not involved.

My latest meeting with Eamonn gave me some comfort. There are like minded people out there!! It’s ok not to be overly concerned by the slimy world of politics or spending money on fancy dan accessories. I don’t know why I needed confirmation or was surprised though. Any cult only grows because of the strength of its like minded activists.

4 comments:

Adrian said...

Serious question - have you ever read a book, fiction or non-fiction, that was not related to sport or the GAA, without being forced to by work/school/someone else?

Anonymous said...

Dave, I chuckled heartily at this. One of your best posts. You are a lunatic.

(Though as you were listing Eamonn Ryan's achievements I couldn't help but think "All that and he still could teach Collins to kick a football straight".)

I love how your Da's shelf is entire books on politics etc and yours is entirely on sport.

"What I know most surely about morality and the duty of man I owe to sport."- Albert Camus

Wandering Gael said...

Adrian's comment urged me to search for a title to prove him wrong. I found it. Piers Morgan's 'The Insider'. That's about politics isn't it?

As for Albert. Wise man.

Adrian said...

Well done Dave! The reason I asked wasn't to mock you or anything. I was reminded of a story about when Wayne Gretzky (greatest ever ice hockey player) met Mordecai Richler (best fiction writer in Canada at the time). Wayne apologised for not having read any of his books and said that he just didn't read fiction. All of his reading was about hockey and leadership and things. He was fixated on hockey and it helped him be the best in world. There's nothing wrong with being fixated - unlike reading a book by Piers Morgan - you wouldn't catch me with one them!