The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Genchi Genbutsu

This is one of the key principles of Toyota. It essentially translates as ‘go and see’. When you encounter a problem in your work, go to the source, listen, see, touch. Gather facts. Then make your decision based on these facts. It means don’t rely on second hand or third hand evidence i.e phone, email etc. We are expected to live this principle every day.

Sometimes we even take it home with us. Tonight I decided to do a bit of Genchi Genbutsu myself. Through our club deal with the gym, they will put on one class a week for just Belgium GAA members who have joined the gym. It’s a free hand really and could be spinning, yoga, power box or whatever.

The previously mentioned spinning psycho, Carmen, is the lady I deal with on this. We were talking about it the other day and agreed a stretching class would be beneficial. So she suggested I join one of her scheduled classes and see what it was like. She further enticed me with her references to all the lovely ladies.

As per usual, in I marched; club socks, stolen European GAA shorts and a training top. Fortunately for everyone, I have dispensed of the old soggy runners and upgraded. My mind instantly shot back to the time when myself and Johnny Phelan were at a similar class and he turned up in shorter than short shorts. The Belfast man spent most of the time tucking himself in!

In they came, one lady after another, each more immaculately turned out than the previous. I positioned myself to the side, towards the back so as not to be too conspicuous. It was fairly tough to buy in at the start with the cheesy music and dance-esque movements into the stretch.

The ladies threw me some puzzled looks, either thinking I was gay or some loser on the prowl! I forgot to mention, of the 19 participants, I was the only male. I’d recommend it to all single men though. Their curiosity was clearly pricked as it was the first time anyone (multiple persons) spoke to me in there!!

The class was good, especially the stretches where you were actively encouraged to look over your shoulder whilst holding them. Anyway, Genchi done, I liked what I saw and will be back with or without the lads.

Stretching class may be the new going out. No numbers tonight though. Will bring Timmy next time.

No comments: