The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

New Master Takes Reigns

And so the new chapter starts. No more control, no more dictating. I become a mere minion to a new master. Dad doesn't think I'll be able to fill the void whilst my buddies doubt I can slip quietly into the pack. It's a bit like one night going home owning the company and the next morning finding yourself beavering away many rungs from the top of it.

Training the team had become a burden and when that happens, the enjoyment goes and the decision to step back is an easy one. Now the sensations change. I return to being a player, wondering what training holds in store and fretting about my selection and what position I may be playing. However, you appreciate this so much more when you've previously worried about planning and organising trainings as well managing relationships with your buddies.

I welcome the hardship of winter training. Steam rising from you as you are hunched over heaving for breath in some dark corner of a field. The silence only broken by the trudging and spluttering of your team-mates. My return this year is slightly delayed due to my back but I'll still be there doing a few exercises. It will be a few weeks before I can run and twist and turn without hindrance. I always took it as a given that a guy should be at training even when they are injured but most guys don't seem to share that.

We start tomorrow night in the VUB. The novelty of having a changing facilities and a bar will be long lasting I suspect. Dressing room banter is under appreciated as a tool to build team spirit. Gone for now are the days of togging out in the rain and hurrying out the gate after training in case hypothermia sets in. Also, the sports centre has a bar which could be viewed as being good or bad. It's proximity to the student bars of Brussels can only be a good thing though!

My removal from the trainer position also challenges the existence of the blog! Now I will have to be more considerate in my topics and my ranting and raving will have to be curtailed somewhat. Still, as a 'senior' player in any group should do, there will still be plenty of scope to cajole and harass anyone dragging their arse.

Roll on 2011.

No comments: