The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Striking Difference

The last few years in inter-county G.A.A. have been characterised by player strikes and revolts. The Cork Hurlers....and Footballers, the Offaly Footballers and Waterford Hurlers, to give a few examples. All would cite lack of quality training, preparation, respect etc. Its a nasty trend, one which hasn't been mirrored by the men on the other side of the line.

Why don't managers strike? We hear plenty of stories of players going AWOL, drinking, breaching team rules etc. The manager invests massive amounts of time thinking about his teams preparation. Imagine how long he would last if he went missing or continuously arrived late? What if he came to training more concerned with discussing the carry-over hangover from the night before or shooting the breeze with the boys? He'd be gone within a week. Players love to share their opinion, will more often be critical than positive and spend far too little time on self-reflection.

Managers generally put up with it though. Its rare enough you will hear fellas walking out mid season. They've given the team a committment and have to see it through. Or maybe not.

In 2001, my father took over the Hurlers in Kinsale. It was a time when football was riding high and underage hurling was bang in the middle of a period of neglect. There was a sprinking of older lads like Paul Forde. Kenny O'Regan and Lyndon Kiely's group produced barely a handful. My 1999 Minor team, coached by my brother provided myself, Joe O'Callaghan, Donal Murphy, the Wrights, Barry Gray, Aonghus Bolster and others.

We played in the West Cork league and played over 30 matches that year. Hurling got inside fellas and numbers grew to the point where we could have full pitch training matches. We won the league before bowing out by a point in the Championship quarter final to Valley Rovers. We lost that game by a point on a miserable night in Ballinhassig. I went to catch a ball I should have batted at the beginning of the second half and it ended up in the roof of the net. It is one of two times I'd say i was inconsolable after a game, the other being a County Championship game in 1998 against Fermoy.

I remember being in the dressing room with the brother on one side and Brian Murphy on the other, feeling I had left them and the rest of the lads down. We hurled enough that year to evoke that emotion, something which hadn't happened in previous years.

Within a month or so of the start of the 2002 season, Dad walked. I was fairly pissed off with him at the time. I'd never have been one to miss training and whilst I didn't like being up their with five or six other lads, my youthful enthusiasim kept me going. He'd had it though. His job would have kept him as busy, if not busier, than anyone on the team. He'd given his share and more back over the years. I presume his attitude was, why bother, if they aren't going to meet me half way then I'm gone.

I don't think the penny ever quite dropped with the players and I'm not sure did they really care. I continued to be annoyed for a while but in recent years I can totally understand his choice and totally respect that he had the conviction to pack up. We all have personal lives and an abundance of choice when it comes to how to spend our spare time. The player's job is simple. Turn up, concentrate and put in the physical effort required. The manager on the other hand, has to keep 20-40 men stimulated and enthusiastic. Its a massive investment of thought and time. Maybe the auld fella started a trend a little ahead of his time.

No comments: