The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Provoking The Emotion

I was in Pairc Ui Rinn last night to watch my club Kinsale play Fermoy in the QF of the IFC. I'd been onto the lads during the week looking for a flash on the team and how things were going. Its the first Championship game I've gone to see since I stopped my involvement after the Cill na Matra game in April 2006. With such a lapse in time I presumed I could go along without any issues about not being involved.

The minute I passed through the turnstile all the feelings a big Championship occassion provoke came back. I flicked through the programme to check the team. No surprises from what was expected. I saw the lads floating around the dressing room. Kenny was in his casuals cause he pulled the hammer last week, a big loss. After saluting John Mar I had over to the covered stand with my brother John.

The place was full of familiar faces both from Kinsale and neighbouring clubs. There's always an awkward acknowledgement when you pass lads you played against although it gets more friendly with time. There was a game on beforehand so the lads were over popping in and out of the dressing room. Its easy to imagine how they would be feeling, eager to get going. I used to love every aspect of the build up. At that point you're going through all the different things that might happen in a game and how you will handle it.

I was going through the programme again as they came out. I'd have only played regularily with six of the starting team. Mick Sull was captain and full back. He's been living in Dublin for a a good six or seven years. It says it all about the man that he is captain whilst still living up there. I don't know how many times I lined up along side him but i enjoyed every one of them. A selfless player who'd always have your back.

His brother Richard was at centre back. He won a McGrath Cup medal with the Cork Seniors earlier in the year and already has a Munster Junior Medal in his back pocket this year. Keohane was at midfield. Similiar to Mick Sull, we'd have alot of football played together, often with him on the wing in front of me.

In the forwards there was Colm on the wing, another commuting from Dublin and Quigley inside him in the corner. Quigley is an animal of a man and has had some success with the Aussie Rules, representing Ireland on a couple of occasions. Next to him was Conor O'Brien. Conor manages to combine two things that when put together, make for a difficult opponent; speed and strength. He had the best game I've seen him play in a long time last night.

The rest of the team was full of youth. The Coughlans, Wardy and more. They've given the team an injection of energy that was maybe needed a few years earlier. The lads played with the wind in the first half but took a lead of just three points in at half time. You always felt the missed chances may be costly. In the end they were as Fermoy went two points ahead with the last kick of the game.

The whistle followed and many of the lads slumped to the ground. Often in sport you see lads doing things to look for attention but if you've ever been knocked out of the Championship, you know the feeling when every bead of life drains out of you in the seconds after the whistle seals your faith.

Months of work, all the way back to January, just disappear like day into night. G.A.A. is all about Championship. For a sport fellas train so hard for its a bit strange that 60 minutes can end your year and you have no opportunity to change the situation.

I walked across the pitch after the game and intentionally didn't talk to any of the players. I'm completely out of the loop now so nothing I would say would have any value. The dressing room door was open as I passed and the lads were inside, totally silent and still. Its a horrendous feeling, really undescribable unless you have experienced it.

My tussle with my tonsils kept me away from the post match debrief. By all accounts it was a good night though. That's important. There are alot of young fellas coming through and its important the group stays together and looks forward, rather then revolting and creating a split.

I'd have given anything to line up alongside Mick Sull and the lads last night. Playing Championship with your club has no equal. At 28, with a back and hamstrings like mine, coupled with the state of the economy, I'd have to say I'm a long shot to have the privelege again. Still, you can never say never..

No comments: