The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fitness Test

Last Thursday we had a fitness test in the hall. Put simply, it was a 25m grid with markers at each 5m mark. Duration 6 minutes. You do shuttles on the grid for 30 seconds and then get 30 seconds break, six times. Each 5m section is recorded and the total at the end of the six goes is your score.

I expected a big turnout but as 21h approach I was losing players. Conan rang me to say there was something wrong with his car key. He wanted me to ring Eoin, who he was picking up, to tell him he would be late. I hung-up and before I could dial Eoin's number, Eoin called me to ask me to tell Conan he was running a little late. There were a further two phone calls and a text before I got out of the car but none of the three of us could solve the problem. No Conan mean't no weighing scales.

Matti called me to tell me he was lost. Ruairi was driving and they were somewhere in Woluwe. I asked Matti had he not been to the British School before. He replied 'yes, but I wasn't paying attention' (no fault there, I'd be the same). So Matti, do you guys have GPS? 'Yes, but we didn't bring the address'. End of conversation.

Next up was Johnny Quigley. 'Dave. I'm at Shuman but there is no-one here'. It is now twenty to nine, twenty minutes after the appointed departure time. Johnny is a good guy, never has the right footwear, but a good guy. I think he is an orchestra conductor, possibly the coolest job of all of us. If he can conduct an orchestra, you would think he could get himself to Shuman on time! Anyway. Matti & Ruairi made it. Eoin, Conan and Johnny didn't.

When you read what the fitness test involves, it sounds pretty handy. I've only done it a few times and always found it horrific. Yet, when one approaches, I question whether it is actually that bad and if the lads will get anything out of it. Tonight, my feelings about it were reconfirmed. About half-way through the second thirty seconds, I wanted to give up. Once you get to the fifth though you know you have broked the back of it.


I recorded a score which I was a bit disappointed with. Keary was next to me and I think he was pacing himself against me. He stole 10m on me in the second run and I never recovered it. Although, Cluxton was recording my score and he is flakey at the best of times. I may appeal. We followed this by a press-up test and then recorded some basic details such as height, weight and telephone numbers.

With the purpose of the evening being the fitness test, we then opted for a game of indoor soccer. We started a man down (he shall be referred to as Player X). After the fitness test, Player X retired to the toilets for a lengthy period. On his return, he joined the soccer but stood still and pale. He then handed over his keys and was driven home. Mistimed dinner was the diagnosis but even with this ailment he recorded a high score in fairness.

I have a mixed view on fitness tests. I believe you have guys who do very well in them but don't have the work rate to utilise it in matches. On the other hand, some lads get fairly average scores yet get through an amount of work in matches. Still, whatever your thoughts on them, we will record the scores and re-check every month, hopefully making progress along the way. Its good to have personal targets and chase them. We won't publish the list for now but I know Keary is 10m ahead of me and I'll want to chase him down.

No comments: