The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

AGM

I can't sleep before these things. Conchur was sending me provocative emails all week trying to rise me. I withstood a number of them. I was too busy to reply to the rest. I replied anyway. He ignores my response. My blood boils. Then I receive the agenda and the motions. So he did read my mail. My genius is heavily reflected, but wait, 'Conchur de Barra' is attached to all but one. I take it as a back handed compliment and opt to let it slide. But then as I drove the outgoing Chairman to the meeting, he tells me that he is going to throw out the one motion which my name is attached too. He is pushing me...

The meeting starts at the appointed time of 18h30 with near thirty people in attendance. Conchur rattles off his few words. We are all holding a copy of the 7 page Secretary's report and brace ourselves for an unmerciful rant. However, Becky has very wisely decided to summarise key points. Excellent report, excellent delivery.

On to the treasurers report, Conchur has made it in such a way that he has consolidated anything controversial under uncontroversial headings. Very smart. Next the officers. It was all wrapped up late in the preceeding week. Olof Gill of Clare Island and Sweden is our new Chairman and Kevin Keary is Vice Chairman. A double headed beast if ever I saw one. Both spoke well at different times during the meeting and both have a healthy respect for the ladies football and hurling which is important. They will be good if they can maintain their enthusiasim. Both featured heavily in the club last year. I will treat it as a development opportunity for them and challenge everything they do, say or propose.

Willie is back as treasurer, he just won't go away. Clare Applebe is in as Social Secretary and Laura Whiskard as Football Officer. The Bomber is Equipment Officer whilst sidekick Eoin leads fundraising activity. There seems to be an officer job for everyone in the audience. The Irish army isn't as well equiped. Still, if they all do what they are supposed to than it could be a good year.

Numerious motions were floated. Nothing major to report. There is genuine interest in strengthening our links to FC Irlande. This is important as we have many players involved in both and they were very good to us last year as we tried to grow. On numerous occasions they gave us use of their facilities at no cost. It was very much appreciated and one of the thoughts behind this motion is that we should be in a position to repay their kindness.

The meeting ends at 20h on the button, as scheduled. Martin, our Hurling trainer, has the last word and thanks Conchur for his contribution. Conchur took the chairmanship last year and I was disappointed he didn't give it another year. Still, he put great structures in place which will serve us well. He steered the club through the rocky waters of our expansion into the footballing world. He managed all the different and challenging personalities that came with it (and existed already!) and now many of them will now help fill the void he leaves.

So good luck to all who took a job and I hope you can drive the club forward to greater things. I leave you to your tasks with an appropriate quote;
'Committment is doing what you said you were going to do, long after the mood that you said it in has left you'.

No comments: