The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Stuttering Start

Only once in February have I seen the temperature reach as high as 0 degrees Celsius. Brussels has been Baltic.

The last night we were able to train was February 2nd. It was minus 5 at the start of the session, with the wind chill factor making it feel minus 15. The following day it snowed and with temperatures not rising, it has remained on the pitch since then. The VUB has closed up shop and we are left to twiddle our thumbs.

We had two well attended sessions our first week back and the purpose was just to stretch the legs and handle a bit of ball. It was good to see certain faces out so early in the year and on the Thursday, I even received a text from Pierce explaining his non-attendance. I nearly crashed the car.

Once we get clearance to return to training, we will embark on a six week pre-season programme under the guidance of Conan and Diarmuid Laffan. Last year things were freshened up with Eoin and Conan taking charge. Recognising the benefit a few new or different voices bring, Laffan’s addition to the ‘backroom’ (sorry for the lingo) team is a big boost.

He can call on an upbringing in the Leinster Rugby Academy as well as the experience of captaining the Ireland U-20s. With that we can expect some new ideas – within the boundaries of the physical needs of G.A.A. players of course. I say G.A.A. and not football because the training should be as of much benefit to our hurlers so hopefully we will see all the lads out.

My role in pre-season will be minimal, helping out only when the two lads can’t make it. I missed virtually all of the early training last year and felt I was only beginning to get the legs moving when we got to Limerick. Two instances of frustration stick out from that point of view. I can remember Giller roaring at me to take the ball forward up in The Hague in July but the tank was empty – and that was in the first game of the day!

After the first round of the Pan-Euros in Belgium, Hudson commented that I looked very flat. He was right and it was a case of not having enough done. After the last few years, I have no expectation of an injury free season but having solid foundations laid will certainly help us all.

Looking out my window now, there is still a layer of snow on my balcony. I’ll be surprised if we are let loose tomorrow but hopefully the lungs will pound before the week is out.

No comments: