The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Time to get back on the bike…

…or off it as the case may be. Some sporadic spinning classes and less than enthusiastic little sessions on the bike have been the extent of my cardio work for the last five months.

It’s time to return to training. The back is a good bit better, if not totally recovered. It doesn’t look like it will get back to perfect but I could play with it in its current state without issue. It’s just a case of how it reacts to the twisting and turning and all that comes with playing hurling and football.

The lads have been back training a month but I haven’t missed it at all, not even just being out training. I’ve actually enjoyed the free time, going to the gym and generally not having any commitment. There is one big thing I notice though – life goes on without you!!

For the last three years I was one of the main focal points of the whole thing which means you are deeply involved and everyone has something to say to you about it. Now I’m on the outside looking in and you realise your revised role in the bigger picture. You are truly just another cog in the wheel. It leaves a certain gap but it’s more a case of being conscious of it than missing it.

By all accounts training has been going well. Eoin’s style is different in that he isn’t doing any heavy fitness work now. Instead it’s all ball related stuff. Hopefully that will mean my lack of fitness will be exposed less in the coming weeks.

The lads head to Dublin this weekend to join up with some of our former players for a tournament against Kilmacud, Peregrines and Cuala. The former two have visited us in the past so it is good to return the gesture.

I’m not travelling, partly because of injury but as much because I simply want to travel less and spend less money on G.A.A. trips this year.

Temperatures will get down to zero tonight so it’s going to be cold out there. I may have said I didn't miss it but I know the minute I get the ball in my hands that the enjoyment will become apparent immediately. Six weeks to the first tournament and you have to start somewhere!

No comments: