The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Backward Step Forward

Corner backs are some of the most underrated players on a team. Obviously I think this because I come out of that school. We hail our corner forwards as the marquee players but look down our noses at those tasked with marking them. I’ve written before about how i spent my days in Kinsale swapping between #2 and #4. Depending on the day and the size and speed of an opponent, either myself, Mick Sull or Lyndon would be dispatched to do a job.

It’s a pressure place to play because of the proximity to your own goal and mentally you have to stay tuned in for long periods even when you don’t have the ball. Also, you don’t get the opportunity to express yourself as a footballer, certainly not at club level where you are practically solely allocated to defensive duties.

With that time behind me in Kinsale, I took advantage of my team selection role and gave myself a roving wing forward slot in Belgium. I like to point out that I made my adult debut as a wing forward for Kinsale against Ballincollig though and scored a point with my first touch. An injury to Brian Kelly ten minutes later saw me move back to corner back and I stayed in that dungeon for the next 7 years.

We had a severe lack of forwards in Belgium back then so I could get away with my role picking up ball, moving it on and covering ground. No- a-days though we have forwards who want to kick the ball over the bar so I’ve had to stop the bluffing and revert back to old habits.

Throughout the Benelux series I’ve more often than not started from wing-back and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Backs are a different breed and playing alongside the likes of Crusher, The Fridge, Burkee, Paul Gavin and Hudson puts the fire in the belly and the competition drives you on.

Facing the ball always suited me better, in whatever sport I played. You can see your destination and think out the next play before the ball arrives. Also, you have scope to go forward and cause havoc on the overlap. No forward likes chasing an overzealous defender.

With all these young fellas streaming in, my days may be numbered so I’m already preparing for a further step backwards. Lately, mainly to give our goalkeeper Timmy an opportunity to play outfield, I’ve occasionally put on the keepers jerseys. I’ve done it plenty of times in hurling and enjoyed it a lot. Football wouldn’t be the same because the nature of the position in the big ball game isn’t as edge of the cliff kind of stuff. Still, one must always plan for the move towards retirement and it’s there that I may find my final resting place!

No comments: