The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reaping the rewards of a quiet January

If you told me when I moved to Brussels that you could string a few days together that would involve G.A.A. training on a Thursday night, a soccer match on the Saturday and finish off with a hockey match on the Sunday, I’d hardly have believed you. Such are the options available to us here and it’s probably been the main reason I’m still here.

I’ve been threatening to give up the soccer all year to free up some time but the second team is flying high and loaded with Irish and it’s a good scene to be involved in. Still, I wasn’t going to play on Saturday but a mix of them being short, a Paul Staunton (our FCI daddy) exchange and the fact Keary was making his debut meant it just had to be done.

I’ve trained very little all year and it has been reflected in my performances. The club has a man of the match system whereby at the end of a game everyone gives their two votes. Whoever wins the most votes gets the round in. At the end of the year, the votes from all games are tallied and the winner is crowned player of the year.

I used to always get my share, regardless of whether it was 1sts or 2nds; my endeavour (rather than skill) winning favour in some hearts. I must have played 5/6 games before Christmas and I’d say I could count on one hand the number of votes I got. This annoyed me, not because I missed the adulation of my teammates but because it was indicative of the level of my contribution to the team. Saturday went better personally with a goal and the man of the match; an indication of the benefits of more training and less drinking!! We lost 2-1 though so that took away from the satisfaction.

Today I lined up with Leuven’s 4th hockey team. They hover around the bottom of the hockey world but that’s ok for now as I’m just happy to be back playing. There is an extensive blog entry pending, describing what it’s like to join a foreign team who speak a language you cannot comprehend (Flemish in this case). Snel ball and lijn are about all I can manage. You care less as you get older though.

We led 3-0 & 4-2 before needing our keeper to save a penalty in the closing minutes to salvage a draw. The €140 I spent on a hockey stick yesterday paid off with a goal but an effort to win it came back off the crossbar. Tired from the weekend exertions, I decided to finish the game in the sin bin, alongside my marker. It was a good weekend, hopefully I’ll be able to get out of the scratcher tomorrow morning.

The last sporting act of the weekend was to deliver Thursday’s training plan to Rochey. It’s always hard to know when you are planning it, how difficult it will be. All I can say to the lads who are reading this though, is that I’d have an early and light lunch! On paper it doesn’t look so appealing!

Another week ending and another beginning.

No comments: