The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bound By The Pre-Match Ritual

Jim Butler. The most famous thing he ever did on a hockey pitch was, when 2-0 down against CofI in the last game of the 2000 (?) season, he stepped up to take a penalty stroke. It was supposed to breath life into our quest for the great escape. His shot dribbled against the post. Butler was lucky though, his deficiences were compensated by the mixed bag of talents surrounding him. We came back and grabbed the winner in the closing moments when a diving Elmer connected with a cross. UCC survived against the odds.

Jim liked the nightlife and was a dependable wingman, whatever the night, whatever the occassion. What amused me though, was from Saturday through Thursday he used to lead a red bull and vodka fuelled existence. However, once Thursday morning arrived, it was water, pasta and all that craic, in preparation for the big game on a Saturday. I think I tried to debate with him on occassion, about the value of this inconsistent behaviour. It never worked for me anyway as my body didn't like the instant change and deprevation of Four Star Pizza. The one point I could agree on was the value of abstaining from drink though.

During those UCC days we had an elaborate set of fines laid out which were applied to missing training, drinking on a Thursday/Friday before a match, being late, mobile phones during team talks and that kind a jazz. We also had ones for indiscipline on the pitch, which were often referred to the committee! It was good craic though and we'd drink the proceeds on an appointed occassion.

However, the hockey season was my off season from G.A.A. and I liked to loosen the the grip on the social life a little. I was a regular in Fast Eddies and Redz those days and they were safe havens on Thursday nights. I used to run into Andy Barber regularily and occassionally Eoinzy. They were inevitably drinking so our secret was safe. The only time I nearly slipped was a weekend when we were due to travel to Monkstown in The Irish Senior Cup. I can't remember where i ended up on the Thursday night but I had to be at The Star by noon on the Friday to get the bus. I just made it and instantly cited a bad flu to explain my demeanour after arriving.

I'd say I could count on one hand the times I've drank anything the night before a game though. One occassion was when we were due to play Courceys in 2001 in the league final. It was the last weekend before Christmas and the hockey had just finished for the winter break. The girls were out and there was probably one who had pricked my interest and that was sufficient to engage me. We ended up in Redz but I was still probably in bed for three.

The game was in Kinsale the next morning at 11h30 so i hopped in the car and headed bown from Brookfield. It was a sh1tty morning; wet and windy. Perfect for blowing the cobwebs off and even better for a back who was marking the speedster David Hayes. The game went well, we won and I survived in tact. I'd injured my ankle after the South-East final so it was one of my first games back. The hangover factor was probabaly a blessing as it took my mind off the ankle.

I don't really remember any other instances where i strayed. Mentally, I just can't do it. Not even one or two. On St. Stephens Day the UCC old boys play the current XI and i wouldn't even drink on Christmas Day purely because of that. Totally over the top i know but I play sport to enjoy it and i enjoy it more when i play well. Rocking up with a hangover is one good way to try and ensure you won't do either.

It was only when I moved to Belgium and was going home to visit that I realised how many lads would be in The White Lady the night before games. I was disgusted but there ya go.

Even though the sporting realm within which I operate in Belgium will never mean as much to me or motivate me the way playing with UCC or Kinsale did, I still follow the same approach. I left work late on Friday evening and the traffic had died down. Brussels is the kind of place where everyone heads out of at the weekend and leave deserted streets behind. Still, the feeling takes hold of you as you drive down the road to Shuman roundabout and swing right past the Commission in the direction of watering holes such as The Hairy Canary and The Oak. Those wintry after work pints in the warmth of the bar. I love the thought of it but I kept on my way up Rue Franklin.

It was worth it on Saturday as FC Irlande seconds won a top of the table clash away at Pharma. I played in the holding midfield role; a negative and destructive job! Whatever about how I played, I felt good, was able to bomb around the place and thoroughly enjoyed the many pints after. The day will come for those wintry pints but for now those old habits live on.

2 comments:

Wandering Gael said...

Brace yourselves for Mr. Butler to respond by reminding me i only ever got a run cause i was buddies with the coaches. He will also pick out my spelling/grammar errors and maybe through in some other sly digs, all of which will be untrue and can never be verified.

Jim B said...

Gripping stuff Dave...

Small point.. it was 0-0 when I shamefully missed the penalty.. all credit for not mentioning your own crucial goal in the heroic comeback!

The flu the day of the varsities - I always knew you weren't trustworthy!

PS How is Kirwan these days?? Ye still in touch, or have you no further use for him!