The Ultimate G.A.A. Odyssey

My photo
Brussels, Belgium
A journey of triumph and despair across the roads, railways and skies of Europe, sharing in the relentless mission to develop, sustain and grow a G.A.A. club in the backwaters of the Association.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Return of The Prodigal Sons

If you read the Copenhagen report you will have noted that two members of the travelling party absconded and failed to show up to the tournament. Both were members of the B squad but upon their no show I quickly fast tracked them into the A squad, leaving their destiny in my hands. They did show up and after being told by Conan that they were now in the A squad they decided to leave. I'm not sure why they never asked me for a game!

Of course they needed to be punished and to go all the way to Copenhagen and not get to kick a ball was the best we could do at that point. I received varying opinion on the choice of punishment, some thinking it was overboard!!! Still, we are not in a position to close the door on anyone so it remained open for them to return without further discussion of the incident.

Tonight they returned and I was happy to see it. I absolutely disagree with what they did but there is no point in dwelling on it. We need all the players we can get as it makes training better and fielding teams easier. Also, sport is important for lads from a social and fitness point of view so we should encourage it where possible. Wih a bigger squad this year such 'discipline' issues are rearing their head more often. It's to be expected when you consider fellas here play for all different reasons and what I see as 'indiscipline', they may just see as having the craic. I'm becoming a little more open minded lately, at least on the outside anyway. If I didn't, there wouldn't be a toy left in the pram.

No comments: